Milk and Azuki Ice Bar


A food memory I have that dates back to when I was six years old was kakigori, shaved ice with syrupy toppings. I always had to have the creamy and sweet "miruku" (milk). The flavor was new to me, but I couldn't get enough of the sweetened condensed milk.

While I can't shave ice at home, I can make a miniature version of the dessert. My first attempt at making an ice bar with 100% sweetened condensed milk was a failure. It was way too sweet and didn't freeze properly making it difficult to remove from the mold.

For each bar I do 1 part sweetened condensed milk to 3 parts whole milk. Mix it thoroughly before pouring into the mold. If you want to include azuki beans it is best to freeze the milk in stages. Put some sweet milk in the mold and let it freeze. Then add some beans and cover with milk. Repeat this step once and then freeze.

I only wish I would have thought about making this a long time ago.

Comments