Tonkatsu Bento とんかつ弁当



Tonkatsu Bento | JustOneCookbook.comWelcome to my new series: Bento!  Bento (弁当, bentō), or most of us would say Obento (“o” for honorific term), is a single-portion home-packed meal or takeout.  I debated the idea whether to start this bento series the whole summer.  The reason is that I wouldn’t call myself a “bento expert” and I don’t think I am creative or artistic enough to make character bentos that kids are crazy about.  However, I became inspired by many amazing bentos that talented bloggers shared and now that I need to pack my son’s lunch everyday, I decided to share my “normal” bento that he loves on Just One Cookbook.

I hope my SIMPLE bento can inspire some of you to make healthy and delicious lunch for your loved ones and I hope you will enjoy taking this journey with me.  You might see a super cute character bento on my blog one day (or maybe not…haha).
I want to briefly mention that I’m making this bento for my 6-year-old son who started 1st grade this year.  The goal is to just pack enough food for him to try finishing his lunch during the 30-minute lunch break.  He’s a slow eater (did I spoil him at home?), and most days he cannot finish his whole lunch box.  So please keep in mind that my bento is made specifically for my son’s need.  Now let’s begin!
Previous Dinner was:
Tonkatsu | JustOneCookbook.com

Tonkatsu Bento | JustOneCookbook.com

Tonkatsu Bento


Prep time
Cook time
Total time
Serves: 1 Bento
Ingredients
  • Japanese rice
  • Tonkatsu
  • Tonkatsu sauce
  • Tomatoes
  • Lettuce
  • Radish
  • Pre-blanched broccoli
  • Salad dressing of your choice
Instructions
  1. Fill up half of bento box with Japanese rice. Let it cool so that hot/warm rice will not warm up other cool food.*
  2. Take leftover tonkatsu out of fridge and bake for a few minutes in a toaster oven until it's warm.
  3. Place tonkatsu on top of rice and drizzle Tonkatsu Sauce on top (or put it in a different sauce container).
  4. Wash tomatoes, lettuce, and radish and pat dry. Cut if necessary. Place nicely in the bento box along with broccoli.
  5. Pour dressing in a sauce container (I bought in local Daiso. Check Amazon).
  6. Cool down completely before closing the bento box.


Cook broccoli florets in microwave: Put 1-2 broccoli florets in a small microwave-safe bowl/container. Fill with water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave for a minute or so until it's a little bit soft (or you can blanch it as well). Drain well and let it cool.


Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. All images and content on this site are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without my permission. If you’d like to share this recipe on your site, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link to this post as the original source. Thank you.

Comments